Recent Cleaning Posts
Allergy Season, Cleaning Tips to help!
Regular housecleaning can get rid of many allergy triggers and help relieve your symptoms.
It helps to know some cleaning tips. Common mistakes -- shampooing carpets or using heavily scented cleaners -- could make your allergies worse, not better.
Here are some ways to keep your house clean and your allergies under control.
- Vacuum once or twice a week. Make sure your vacuum has a HEPA filter. Some allergens are so small that they pass right through a regular vacuum filter. That means that every time you vacuum, you could be sucking them off the floor and shooting them into the air, where you breathe them in.
- Cut clutter. Piles of boxes or clothing can trap dust and hide allergens like dust mites and cockroaches.
- Wear a mask when you clean. And when you're done with your housework, leave the house for a few hours. It will limit your exposure to allergens you kicked up into the air.
- Keep the bathroom free of mold. Scrub the tile regularly. Don't forget the shower curtain, too. You may be able to toss it in the washing machine.
- Wash sheets weekly in hot water. Make sure it's at least 130 F. That's hot enough to kill dust mites. If your child has allergies, do the same with any washable stuffed animals.
- Don't use scented cleaners or detergents. If you have allergies, the fragrances in cleaners can trigger symptoms. Look for fragrance-free products instead.
- Don't air-dry laundry. Clothing left outside will pick up pollen and mold. Use the clothes dryer instead.
- Use a damp cloth and mop when cleaning. They'll trap allergens instead of knocking them into the air.
- Clean outside entryways. Sweep or vacuum. The cleaner your path or patio is, the less likely someone is to track dust or pollen into your house.
- Don't shampoo carpets. The leftover moisture could cause mold growth or increase dust mites.
- Ask another family member to take over some chores. It's better if you avoid jobs like dusting or vacuuming if you are allergic to dust mites.
Other Changes to Make at Home
These aren't cleaning tips, but they'll make cleaning easier and may help prevent allergy flare-ups.
- Say goodbye to your rugs. Rugs and carpets can trap allergens. Having vinyl, tile, or hardwood floors reduces your exposure to triggers. Get smaller, washable rugs that you can toss into the laundry.
- Get special bedding. Use dust-proof covers on your mattress and pillows to keep dust mites out.
- Get rid of your drapes or horizontal blinds. They trap both dust and allergens. Switch to roll shades.
- Take shoes off before you go in the house. That way pollens or other triggers won’t get tracked in.
- Keep pets out of the bedroom. It's a key way to protect yourself from dander. Don't ever let pets sleep on the bed if you have pet allergies.
- Use air-conditioning. Instead of opening windows when it’s hot, use the AC. An air conditioner will filter the air, preventing dust, dirt, pollens, molds, and other triggers from getting in.
Spring is right around the corner! Now is time to start preparing your spring cleaning “to do list”. Spring cleaning is a tradition that allows us to freshen up our homes after a long winter. So open up those windows, let the fresh air in, and call SERVPRO of Mundelein/North Wauconda to help you with those deep cleaning tasks!
We offer a variety of services to get your home spring ready including:
Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning:
SERVPRO carpet and upholstery cleaning service will not only get out the dirt you see, but will also remove the unwanted dust you don’t. A professionally cleaned carpet and furniture may make all the difference in brightening up a room and freshening up your home.
Are your floors dirty and dull? Our technicians can clean and make your wood floors shiny and spotless with our Dirt Dragon cleaning process. Did I mention SERVPRO of River Oaks is a member of the National Hardwood Floor Association? Give us a call and let us bring those floors back to life!
Months of salt and dirt tracked into your home and onto your tiled floors? Our technicians can clean the tile and grout and make it like winter never even happened.
Air Duct Cleaning:
We all have tasks around the house that don’t make it to the top of our priority list. Properly maintaining your home’s air ducts should not be one of them. Regular duct cleaning can increase your home’s heating and cooling efficiency and improve the quality of the air you and your family breathe.
Your basic cleaning service is not going to have the expertise to effectively deodorize your home. Take advantage of SERVPRO’s residential cleaning services to remove unwanted odors.
Remember, spring cleaning isn’t only for your home, but also for offices, daycares, businesses, and warehouses. Let us help you get ready for warm weather.
Call us today to schedule a cleaning service, 847-469-6982
Myths and Facts about cleaning
When you just want to clean your house after everyday use you want it to be done quick and easy. Not confusing and hard. These 10 myths about cleaning will be explained to help you clean with a more effective product or to show you that the product you are using doesn't work as well as you thought. Enjoy!
Myth: Newspaper does windows well
Fact: Wet newspaper tears easily and the ink can transfer to window trim, leaving more too clean. Use microfiber cloths to clean glass. They’re the best at cleaning without streaking.
Myth: Coca-Cola belongs in the toilet
Fact: Coke isn’t “it” when it comes to cleaning your toilet bowl. Coke is acidic, so it could be effective at removing hard water stains BUT soda could actually darken stains and the sugar could encourage bacteria.
Myth: Handwashing dishes is better than using a dishwasher
Fact: If your dishwasher is a decade old, this may be true, but today’s models beat handwashing by a mile. According to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star website, using a dishwasher that bears the Energy Star label can save some 5,000 gallons of water, more than $40 dollars in energy costs, and 230 hours in personal time over the course of a year, versus handwashing. And, because dishwashers heat the water to 140°F, they’ll sanitize the dishes, too.
Myth: Coffee freshens garbage disposers
Fact: Coffee grounds may act as a mild abrasive, removing gunk from disposer blades, but baking soda is a better choice: It’s also mildly abrasive, and because it’s a base it will counteract all the smelly acids that we put down the drain.
Myth: Vinegar cleans everything
Fact: Vinegar is an acid, so it can cut through dirt and can kill bacteria, but only if you use it at full or nearly full strength. Most people put a capful in a bucket of water, and that doesn’t do much. The acids in vinegar can damage natural stone and wood surfaces.
Myth: Hairspray removes ballpoint ink
Fact: This may have been true years ago, when hairsprays were formulated with more alcohol (which does remove ink) than they are today, but not anymore. Today’s hairsprays are full of stiffeners and hardeners that will just make the stain worse. Just use rubbing alcohol. It’s far less expensive than hairspray, and doesn’t include any extra ingredients.
Myth: Bleach cleans everything
Fact: Bleach actually doesn’t ‘clean’ anything—because it doesn’t remove soil. It can lighten stains, making things look cleaner, and it kills bacteria, so it’s better as a sanitizer than as a cleaner.
Myth: Feathers make great dusters
Fact: Genuine ostrich-feather dusters do attract dust, but they’re expensive and are generally not as effective as lamb’s wool or microfiber options. Most feather dusters just spread the dust around. Also, they tend to drop feathers which is just leaving you more to pick up.
Myth: Cleaning solutions work instantly
Fact: Nope. We recommend allowing any cleaning solution to sit on the surface for two to three minutes. Always follow the directions on the product’s label. Some solutions, like disinfectants, need a full ten minutes to truly kill bacteria.
Myth: String makes the best mops
Fact: Industrial-style string mops may look impressive, but studies have shown that microfiber mops are about 20 percent more effective at removing dirt and bacteria. String mops are very absorbent, so they’re great at cleaning up big spills, but if you want to make sure you’re not leaving anything behind on the floor, use a microfiber mop.
SERVPRO of Mundelein/North Wauconda proudly serves you and specializes in fire, smoke, mold, water and biohazard damage to both commercial and residential properties. Capable of handling any size loss and working with all types of insurance providers, SERVPRO is available 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. For more information, Call us at; 847-469-6982
Tips on Removing Graffiti
Regardless of which city or town you go to these days, you'll find signs of graffiti by vandals hoping to cause destruction or draw attention to their message. It's on office building, homes, apartments, shopping centers and subways. Graffiti is applied with a variety of materials like paint, spray paint, etching products and markers, which makes removing graffiti difficult.
Options for Removing Graffiti
The best way to remove graffiti is to determine the type of graffiti product that was used and the type of surface it was applied to. The removal options that follow work the best for removing spray paint, stencils, shoe polish and markers from a number of surfaces.
Scrape off the graffiti with a razor blade, or try paint thinner and rinse the glass clean.
Options include sand blasting or power washing. Chemical graffiti remover may also be effective for removing graffiti.
Sparingly apply paint remover to the surface, and rinse thoroughly with clean water.
Small amounts of chemical solvents work well to remove graffiti. Care should be taken not to remove the vinyl.
Apply solvents and run it out with sandpaper or steel wool, which works well. Power washing is another option.
It's best to remove graffiti by testing a small area using your selected method to see how well the process works.
Clean Homes Sells Faster
Looking to sell your home? It is a fact: A clean, fresh smelling home will sell faster. Veteran realtors will encourage you to keep your home in top condition for very important reasons including increased market value. SERVPRO of University Place/Lakewood West offers a variety of services to help revive your home to top show condition including carpet and upholstery cleaning, ceiling, wall, and hard floor cleaning, deodorization, and mold mitigation and remediation.
One problem many homeowners come across when selling their home is mold. Molds are found in every environment and mold spores reproduce rapidly when moisture is present. An Institute of Medicine study found excessive dampness indoors encourages the growth of molds and other organisms, causing public health problems. The EPA advised that the potential health concerns from molds are an important reason to prevent moisture problems. leading to mold growth. It is especially important to clean up existing indoor mold growth to increase property appeal and retain its value. If a property has experienced a water intrusion, SERVPRO Mundelein/North Wauconda can inspect the damage to see whether moisture has penetrated materials or is allowing mold growth.
Prior to listing your property, the following steps can be taken to reduce the potential for moisture buildup or mold growth. Should a water damage event occur, timely response is the key to preventing further damage- act within the first 24 to 48 hours.
- Correct any water leaks or standing water
- Remove standing water under cooling coils or air handling units
- Properly maintain humidifiers, if used
- Replace wet or visibly moldy insulation materials
- Steam cleaning and other methods involving moisture should not be used on any kind of duct work
- Install a ventilation system
As a home owner looking to sell your home, you may have trouble spots to address before you list or schedule a home inspection. Whether the problem is a water stain on a hardwood floor or a mildew smell in the basement, rest assured that SERVPRO of Mundelein/North Wauconda can get your home in top show conditions and ready to sell. When you decide to sell your home, call us for cleaning and restoration services that will help showcase your property to potential buyers. 847-469-6982
Carpet Cleaning Tips
Is your home collecting dirt and germs every time you walk through the door? The answer is yes. Shoes collect bacteria on the soles and can track it straight into your home, but there are a few ways to prevent this. More importantly, there are ways to treat your floor and home if it hasn't been done recently.
Some of the bacteria that lands on our shoes can cause a decline in our health if not cleaned. In fact, an EPA study shows that unhealthy herbicides can also be tracked in on our shoes. Don't let this scare you because it can be prevented.
Try setting a shoe rack in your garage or right when you walk into your home for shoes to be placed. This limits the exposure of these unwanted germs. It is also not a bad idea to clean your shoes once a month. Not only will this help eliminate bacteria, but will also make your shoes look better, longer.
If you think that your carpet or flooring already has unhealthy herbicides in it, then it may be time for a deep cleaning. Of course this will help kill germs and bacteria, but also get rid of dirt. This is where SERVPRO of Tuscaloosa comes in! How often you’ll need professional cleaning depends on soil build-up, traffic, type and color of carpeting.
If you have a steam cleaner, use it to clean your floor. The heat of the water that cleans your carpet will help kill bacteria. If your home is mostly hardwood or tile, grab your mop and the appropriate cleanser to rid your floor of unwanted germs.
If you are still unsatisfied, SERVPRO of Mundelein/North Wauconda can do the job. The SERVPRO System offers a number of cleaning options to match any type of upholstery or carpet. Call us today
Unpacking Winter Clothes
Do you store your cool weather clothes away during summer? If so, this can help!
Clothes with a musty smell can usually be taken care of by using one of these common household products.
- Baking soda
- White vinegar
Just fill your washing machine with clothes, hot water and your normal detergent. Once full, pour a cup of your selected product in and agitate to ensure its mixed properly. You can use a mixture of vinegar and baking soda, a half cup each.
For best results dry the clothes outside. A sunny breezy day is best. A place that gets both wind and sun is ideal.
Keep in mind, if your clothes smell musty it’s because of mold. You might want to look into that.
Vandalism Dos's and Don'ts
Hose or wash egg damage from building exterior as soon as possible
Blot freshly spilled food from carpets and fabrics with a dampened cloth or sponge (but don’t over wet) Scrape and blot (don’t rub: may damage fibers)
Vacuum glass particles from carpets and upholstery
Save containers, which reveal the composition of spilled inks, cosmetics and paints
Attempt to remove ink, paint or cosmetics
Operate damaged lamps or appliances
Discard wood chips, broken pieces of furniture, porcelain or other art objects
Call SERVPRO of Mundelein/North Wauconda and let us help take care of this for you
Basic Spot Removal Procedure
Basic Spot Removal Procedures
- Attend to spills as soon as possible. Older stains are harder to remove. Scrape or blot up excess reside of spot. Always blot; never rub carpet or upholstery fabric. Rubbing may cause irreparable fiber distortion.
- We always pretest spot removing solutions in an inconspicuous area before applying to spot to ensure the performance of our procedure and safety of your fabric. We inspect closely for dye transfer or changes in the fabrics appearance.
- When attempting to remove a spot, remember, like dissolves like. A water-based stain will dissolve in water-based solution (sometimes water just works!). Oil-based spills need to be dissolved using a solvent solution. SERVPRO makes sure the correct procedures are used.
- After removing the spot, we rinse the area blot with an absorbent cloth or towel.
We cannot guarantee complete spot removal, but we’ll do our professional best.
Call us Today- 847-469-6982!